For international students who want to get professional experience or simply study further, the 485 visa is the way to go. It is also known as the temporary graduate visa. You get to gain a good amount of professional experience if you decide to work after getting the PR visa.
But this visa is not only to study or work in Australia, graduates can use it to simply extend their stay in this beautiful country. For more information on what the 485 visa is, what is required to get the visa, and any conditions that are associated with it, read ahead.
What is a 485 Visa?
The 485 Visa, also known as the Temporary Graduate visa, is for international students who finish their studies in Australia and want to stay for a while after graduating. It’s a way for them to work, study more, or just enjoy Australia. There are two main types of 485 Visas, each for different qualifications and situations. You can find the eligibility requirements for this visa on Australia’s official website.
What are the Types of 485 Visa?
There are two main types of Temporary Graduate visas, each catering to different educational qualifications:
- Graduate Work Stream (Subclass 485): This stream is intended for international students who have completed a qualification that is relevant to an occupation on Australia’s skilled occupation list. The visa lets you stay in Australia for up to 18 months, during which you can live, work, and study. The Graduate Work Stream is for graduates who want to get hands-on experience in the field they studied.
- Post-Study Work Stream (Subclass 485): The Post-Study Work Stream is designed for recent graduates who have obtained a higher education degree in Australia, such as a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate. The duration of this visa can vary from 2 to 4 years, depending on the level of qualification. It provides these graduates with the opportunity to work and live in Australia, gain additional qualifications, and explore the country.
What are the 485 Visa Requirements?
The 485 visa requirements are pretty simple. There are only a couple of things to keep in mind before you embark upon your beautiful journey. Here is all you need to know.
- Qualification Requirement: You must have completed an eligible qualification in Australia within the last six months before applying. The type of qualification should match the relevant stream you are applying for (graduate work or post-study).
- Age Requirement: There is no specific age requirement for the Graduate Work Stream. However, for the Post-Study Work Stream, the age limit varies depending on your qualification level. Generally, it’s between 31 and 50 years.
- English Proficiency Requirement: You need to show that you have good English skills, usually by taking tests like IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE.
- Health Requirement: You should be in good health and have a clean record, which means you might need to have medical check-ups and show police clearance certificates.
- Application Requirement: You must apply for the 485 visa within six months after getting your qualification.
I know what are you thinking right now, so here we go. Learn More about 485 latest visa rules and requirements in 2024.
How can I apply for the 485 Visa?
Here’s a brief overview of the application process for the Australian 485 visa:
- Gather Required Documents: Collect all necessary documents, including your academic transcripts, English language test results, health insurance, and a valid passport.
- Create an ImmiAccount: Set up an ImmiAccount on the Department of Home Affairs website and complete the online application form.
- Submit your application online after paying the application fee. Be sure to upload all the needed information and documents correctly.
- You might need to do health checks and get police clearance certificates based on your situation.
- Await a Decision: The processing times can vary, so it’s essential to be patient while your application is being reviewed.
Get hands on 485 with The Migration
The Migration is a team with offices in multiple locations. It boasts of a number of dedicated onshore and offshore migration agents with Nasir Nawaz heading the team. With our dedicated and tailored approach to every case, we sit on top when it comes to immigration cases.
We have a team that is well-versed in Australian laws and changes to Australian immigration policies. We give you expert consultations so you can decide how best to use your 485 visa. Moreover, we also help you increase your chances of gaining valuable work experience and then working in Australia after getting a permanent resident visa.
The Australian 485 visa is a vital opportunity for international students to make the most of their Australian education experience. Whether you want to gain work experience, explore further educational opportunities, or simply enjoy the Australian lifestyle, the 485 visa can be your key to extending your stay in this beautiful country.
Before applying, ensure you meet the eligibility criteria and prepare all necessary documents. Additionally, staying informed about the latest updates from the Department of Home Affairs is crucial.
With careful planning and a clear understanding of the visa requirements, you can make the most of your post-study experience in Australia. So, seize this opportunity, and let your journey of personal and professional growth in Australia begin with the 485 visa.
Frequently Answer Questions on 485 Visa Requirements
What is the purpose of the 485 visa?
The 485 visa, also called the Temporary Graduate visa, is for international students who have recently graduated from Australian schools. It lets them stay in Australia for a limited time to gain work experience, improve their skills, or prolong their stay after finishing their studies. Usually, you need to have completed a relevant Australian qualification within the last six months to be eligible.
Is it necessary to possess health insurance for the 485 visa?
Yes, health insurance is a compulsory requirement for the 485 visa. You must maintain adequate health insurance coverage throughout your stay in Australia. This requirement ensures that you have access to essential healthcare services and do not place a burden on the Australian healthcare system.
What are the English language proficiency prerequisites for the 485 visa?
The English language requirements for the 485 visa can vary depending on the specific visa stream you are applying for. In most instances, you will need to demonstrate a specific level of English proficiency through recognized English language tests such as IELTS or PTE. The required scores may also differ based on your chosen occupation and academic qualifications.
Is it possible to include family members in my 485 visa application?
Depending on the particular stream of the 485 visa you are applying for, it may be possible to include eligible family members in your application. Typically, this includes your spouse, de facto partner, or dependent children. However, you must meet specific criteria and provide evidence of your relationship or dependency. It’s crucial to review the eligibility requirements for family members before proceeding with your application.