The Hon. Clare O’Neil MP, Minister for Home Affairs, launched a thorough review of the migration future of Australia on September 2, 2022. This is to make sure it better addresses current difficulties and set a clear path for the following decades.
Selection of Eminent Persons
On the basis of their exceptional skills, the Minister chose eminent individuals. They are known for contributing favorably to Australia’s achievements in public policy and the economy. They have knowledge of technology, business, and important public reviews. Additionally, they exhibit the gender balance and migrant backgrounds of Australian culture.
The Minister has appointed three eminent persons to guide a review of Australia’s migration system, which will inform the Strategy:
- Dr. Martin Parkinson AC PSM
- Dr. Joanna Howe
- Mr. John Azarias
The three eminent persons will be supported by a task force within the Department of Home Affairs.
Purpose of the Strategy
The Strategy will make sure that Australia’s national interests are served and that the immigration system enhances the competencies and skills of Australian workers. The review will be informed by research, analysis, and extensive consultations for a better migration future of Australia with:
- Migrant communities
- Academia and civil society
- State and territory governments, and
- Like-minded partners internationally.
The department will invite the community to make submissions to inform the Strategy for the migration future of Australia. There will also be targeted direct consultations with a range of key stakeholders.
These consultations are separate from, and in addition to, the consultations as part of the planning process for the permanent Migration Program. An invitation for public submissions to the 2023-24 Migration Program is forthcoming. More information will be available on Australia’s 2022-23 Migration Program page.
Impacts on visa applications and eligibility
The major impacts that this strategy will have on the migration future of Australia are as follows
- The Strategy will make suggestions for changes to Australia’s immigration policy for the government to take into account.
- The status of currently pending or granted visa applications won’t be impacted.
- Decisions made about pending visa applications won’t be impacted by suggestions submitted to the Department regarding the Strategy.
This update can bring about many changes in the migration future of Australia. Personal questions about visa applications won’t be taken into account or addressed. Refer instead to the Visa processing times page on the Home Affairs website or contact the Global Service Centre.
- NSW Skilled Migration Update for 2022-23 Program!
- Increased Migration Cap 2022 – Essential Updates for Workers!
- 5 Key Benefits of Consulting an Immigration Agent to Move to Australia
I’m Nasir Nawaz. I’m a registered migration consultant in Australia. I am based in Sydney. I’ve studied Master of Laws at the University of New South Wales. I’m providing immigration services for several years.
Consult with me for legal advice on Australian visas to permanently live, study, and work in Australia.