Are you an ex-pat living in Australia? Have you considered applying for Citizenship Australia? Well, you can become a citizen in Australia if you fulfill certain conditions.
Australia is a desirable destination for thousands of immigrants. There are several benefits to becoming an Australian citizen. Once you get Australian citizenship, you can access various privileges and rights, including voting in national elections and using government services.
Whether you have decided to apply or are still debating it, we will lead you through the process of applying for citizenship in Australia. So get ready!
Although the citizenship application process in Australia is lengthy, if you carefully follow each step and meet all the requirements, you shouldn’t have trouble becoming a citizen.
So, before applying for Citizenship Australia, it would be helpful to check your eligibility.
Basic Eligibility Criteria for Australian Citizenship
If you wish to seek citizenship, you must fulfill several criteria. You may apply as a migrant, a family, or based on humanitarian considerations.
People over 18 who apply for Australian citizenship often need to
- Must be a PR holder or qualified citizen of New Zealand when you apply and at decision time.
- The residence requirement must be satisfied.
- Pass the citizenship test with at least a 75% score (unless above the age of 60)
- Satisfy the criteria for the English Language.
- Be likely to live in Australia now or in the future or to retain a close connection with Australia.
- Be honest and truthful.
- Must be in good health.
- Must understand Australian society and culture.
- You must realize your responsibilities being an Australian Citizenship.
Children may also be applying for Citizenship Australia under different conditions. For further information, please visit the Home Affairs website external link.
Adults who entered Australia legally must have lived there for at least 4 years before applying for Citizenship Australia.
- 12 months or more as a permanent inhabitant.
- No more than a year of leaving Australia in the previous 4 years.
- Absences Australia in the 12 months before application of no more than 3 months.
To determine whether you satisfy the residence requirement, visit the Citizenship external link on the Home Affairs Department website.
All applicants will require a citizenship test based on their understanding and knowledge of Australian society, beliefs, and history. The applicant’s proficiency in the English language and awareness of the rights and privileges of being an Australian citizen. And intent to work and live in Australia or to maintain a close link with Australia will also be evaluated throughout the test.
Three important Pathways to applying for Citizenship Australia!
To get Australian citizenship, you must submit a proper application form and the fees required to the Department of Home Affairs. After you have lodged your application, the department will contact you.
If your application is approved, you will be called to attend an Australian citizenship ceremony, including the Australian Citizenship Pledge.
Three Main Pathways To Applying for Citizenship Australia.
There are three main pathways to applying for citizenship Australia:
- Citizenship Australia by Conferral
- Citizenship Australia by Birth
- Citizenship Australia by descent
Citizenship Australia by Conferral
If you have been a permanent resident for 12 months and have lived in Australia for 4 years while holding any visa, you are eligible to applying for Citizenship Australia by conferral.
In the last 4 years, you may spend up to 12 months abroad, and in the year before you apply, you may spend up to 90 days outside of Australia. But when you apply for citizenship, and it is granted, you must be present in Australia.
Children under the age of 16 may be included in the parents’ application, but children between the ages of 16 and 18 must submit a separate application.
The fee for submitting a citizenship application is AUD 300. When a child under the age of 15 applies with their parent, there are no fees. There are further exceptions and discounts to applying for Citizenship Australia by conferral.
Citizenship Australia by Birth
You will be an Australian citizen by birth if you are born in Australia and if your parents are or were Australian PR holders or citizens at the time of delivery. If you are born in Australia, and your parents have a temporary visa, you will be granted the same visa as your parents.
There is no automatic visa for children born to permanent residents outside of Australia; they must apply for a Child visa. If you are a permanent resident and intend to return home to give birth, you should consider this seriously.
Citizenship Australia by descent
Children born to Australian citizens who reside outside of Australia can become Australian citizens by descent. If this is the case, you must apply for citizenship and have your registration verified by the Australian Government as you are not given citizenship at birth.
The formal process of applying for citizenship by descent entails the verification of paternity and might involve DNA testing. When your name is entered into the register, you are verified to applying for Citizenship Australia.
Documents for Citizenship Australian Citizenship
Applying for Citizenship Australia, you have to provide original documents to DOHA, which include:
- Birth Certificate includes your full name and your parent’s name.
- Identity Card.
- Passport-sized photographs.
If applicable, proof of a name change.
- If applicable, an official divorce or marriage certificate;
- Identity statement properly authorized by an Australian citizen.
- Documents that show your date of first entry into Australia and your current country of citizenship. Such as current or previous Passport.
- Travel documents such as current or previous Visas.
- A Child Migrants Trust Letter confirms that you arrived in Australia alone.
- Current Residential address.
- Documents for health insurance.
- Good character certificate.
- Results of the citizenship test.
- If there is any exemption, documents to prove that.
- Other identifying documents could be a driving license from an Australian state or territory or a letter from the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR),
- A NAATI translator must translate all supporting documents, if not in English.
Australian Citizenship Processing Time 2022
The Home Affairs Department updates processing time information every month. They handle applications case by case. The processing time may vary depending on an individual’s circumstances and how he applies.
If you’ve applied for conferral of Australian Citizenship in Australia by Conferral:
- 25% of applications are processed in 7 Months
- 50% of applications are completed in 11 months.
- 70% of applications are handled in 14 months.
- 90% of applications are processed within 17 months.
- Within a year of approval, 90% of accepted applicants will be allowed to attend a ceremony.
If you have applied for Citizenship in Australia by descent:
- 25% of applications are processed in 45 days.
- 50% of applications are completed in 53 days.
- 70% of applications are handled in 78 days.
- 90% of applications are processed in 4 months.
If you have applied for Evidence of Citizenship in Australia:
- 25% of applications are processed in 5 days.
- 50% of applications are completed in 8 days.
- 70% of applications are handled in 21 days.
- 90% of applications are handled in 38 days or less.
Common Made Mistakes When applying for Citizenship Australia.
The PR holder makes many common mistakes in Australia While applying for Australian Citizenship:
- One of the most common mistakes made while applying for Citizenship Australia is failing to provide enough proof with the application.
- Applying after spending significant time abroad during the previous 4 years.
- Another common mistake is providing information in a citizenship application that contradicts information provided in a prior visa application.
- Inadequate citizenship test preparation also frequently results in people failing the test and failing at the last challenge.
Privileges of becoming an Australian Citizens
There are several privileges that Australian citizens enjoy, including:
- Participating in federal, state, and territory elections and referendums.
- Work in the Australian Defense Force or the Australian Public Service.
- Election to the Parliament.
- Free re-entry into Australia after applying for an Australian passport.
- Return visas are not required for travel from or to Australia.
- Overseas assistance from an Australian official.
- The registration of Australian citizens by descent born overseas.
Applying for Citizenship Australia – Final thoughts!
People from throughout the world highly regard citizenship in Australia. Nevertheless, getting it is by no means a simple or quick procedure because it is governed by a complicated system of laws and regulations.
- Australian Citizen Vs Permanent Resident of Australia- 4 Major points
- Get Citizenship in Australia – A Quick Guide for Overseas
- How to Get Australian Citizenship after Permanent Residency in 2021?
I’m Nasir Nawaz. I’m a registered migration consultant in Australia. I am based in Sydney. I’ve studied Master of Laws at the University of New South Wales. I’m providing immigration services for several years.
Consult with me for legal advice on Australian visas to permanently live, study, and work in Australia.