How Can you be Eligible for International Student Accommodation Subsidy? – A Quick Guide 2022!

How Can you be Eligible for International Student Accommodation Subsidy? – A Quick Guide 2022!

The International Student Accommodation Subsidy is for international students who’re studying full-time in Western Australia. It provides a one-off payment of $1,500 to help cover accommodation costs. Payments will be provided to the first 2,500 eligible international students in Semester 2, 2022 through this fund.


The application period will open at 9am (AWST) on Wednesday 14 September 2022. While the deadline is at 11am (AWST) on 26th October 2022. The funds will be paid to successful applicants once you have started your studies and reached your institution’s enrollment date. There are some more eligibility requirements as well.


So, let’s discuss the eligibility criteria, application process and timeframes of International Student Accommodation Subsidy in Australia!


Are you Eligible for International Student Accommodation Subsidy?

If you want to be eligible for the Accommodation Subsidy, you must:

  • Be enrolled as an international student.
  • Studying onshore in Western Australia since July 1, 2022.
  • Be enrolled at a CRICOS-registered provider (Western Australian University, TAFE or Vocational College, English Language (ELICOS) provider, pathway college or a primary or secondary school). (CRICOS – Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students) (ELICOS – English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students).
  • Be studying full-time in Semester 2, 2022 and the duration of the enrolled course must be at least for a year or 2 semesters.
  • Have started your studies on the application date and reached the census date of the institution.
  • Not have lived in Western Australia and studied at any time in 2021. You must have arrived in Western Australia to start or restart your studies in person in Semester 2, 2022.
  • Have not studied in Western Australia during Semester 1, 2022.


Important Note!

Students under 16 who are enrolled in primary or secondary school can apply through a Guardian. As, a Guardian can apply on behalf of them. Upon approval, the funds will be transferred to the Guardian’s Australian bank account.


Who is Not Eligible for International Student Accommodation Subsidy?

International students who will not be eligible for the Accommodation Subsidy are those who:

  • have got the International Student Accommodation Subsidy successfully in Semester 1, 2022.
  • are studying part-time.
  • enrolled in courses with the duration of less than 1 year or 2 semesters.
  • who were in Western Australia and studying during 2021 or Semester 1, 2022.
  • who are enrolled and still offshore and haven’t entered Western Australia at the time of application.


How to Apply?

To apply for International Student Accommodation Subsidy, you need to:

  1. Visit
  2. Select the ‘Start a submission’ link.
  3. Complete the registration process for your application. Your reference number (ISAS#) will be emailed to you.
  4. Fill out the online application form. Before submitting the application form, you can save it and return to it at any time.
  5. Click ‘Submit’ after your application is complete.
  6. A confirmation email will be sent to you acknowledging once your application has been received. In the absence of this acknowledgement, your application will not be considered submitted.



Only 2,500 applicants are eligible for the International Student Accommodation Subsidy. Applicants will be able to submit their applications from Wednesday 14 September 2022 at 9 am (AWST). While the last date for submissions is 26th October 2022 at 11am (AWST).


Students must be present in Western Australia. They must have an Australian bank account before finalizing and submitting their application. The maximum number of payments available under this program is 2,500. As a result, applications with all necessary supporting documentation will be evaluated in order of receipt.


The processing of assessment and payment might delay if the application is incomplete, incorrect or has missing documentation.


Watch this Video!

Australian Fully Funded & Other Scholarships for International Students.


Frequently Asked Questions!

1. I am an international student and plan to enrol in a course commencing onshore during Semester 2, 2022. Will I be eligible for the $1,500 payment?

Yes, at the current time, the program is available to students enrolling in courses that begin in Semester 2, 2022 and studying full-time for one year or 2 semesters.


2. I don’t hold a student visa but I am enrolled to commence my course in 2022. Will I qualify for this payment?

You must provide proof that you are enrolled full-time at an eligible institution as an international student. For this program, you will need to enroll in a course with the duration of at least one year and beginning in Semester 2, 2022.


3. My enrolled course is shorter than one year (two semesters). Can I still apply?

No, you can’t apply. Students must study in Western Australia for at least one year/ 2 semesters in order to qualify for this payment.


4. What is the correct documentation I need to attach to avoid delays in the assessment and progression of my application?

In order to verify your identity and details, you will be asked to attach three key documents to your SmartyGrants application.


These documents include:

  • Your Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE)
  • Current Australian Bank Statement
  • Boarding pass or travel ticket


Visit Government of Western Australia to find out the complete details of the required documentation!



If you want to apply for the International Student Accommodation Subsidy, you must meet its criteria. As we have penned down its requirements, application process and all questions that applicants usually ask. So, if you need help applying for this program without making any error, book a consultation with us right now!


Related Articles!



I’m Nasir Nawaz. I’m a registered migration consultant in Australia. I am based in Sydney. I’ve studied Master of Laws at the University of New South Wales. I’m providing immigration services for several years.

Consult with me for legal advice on Australian visas to permanently live, study, and work in Australia.