Replacement Stream 485 – How Long Can You Stay in Australia?

Replacement Stream 485 – How Long Can You Stay in Australia?

Do you currently hold or previously have held a Graduate Visa 485? Have you lost time on a 485 Visa as a result of border restrictions during Covid-19 in Australia? If yes, there’s good news for you. The Department of Home Affairs has released the details of a replacement stream 485. So, if you’re concerned about how long you can stay in Australia with this stream, don’t worry.  We’ve got all the information you need.


Offshore and onshore Temporary Graduate 485 Visa holders can apply for this stream. The replacement stream has been introduced in response to the Covid-19 travel restrictions. The Temporary Graduate Visa holders affected by Covid-19 are the only ones eligible for this stream.


Australia is such a stunning place to live, study and work. People from different countries come to Australia for better living. However, the Covid-19 pandemic has caused a lot of trouble for them. Australia had to ban its international borders. Consequently, many offshore 485 visa holders were unable to enter Australia due to these restrictions.


Well, Australia has now introduced a replacement visa 485. It’s like a safety net for people who had to face issues due to travel restrictions in Australia.


So, we’ll discuss the replacement stream and the Temporary Graduate Visa in this guide. Let’s get started!


What is a Temporary Graduate Visa 485?

A temporary Graduate Visa 485 is for overseas students who’ve completed their studies in Australia. A 485 Visa is for recent international graduates with skills and qualifications. If your skills and qualifications are relevant to specific occupations that Australia needs, you’re welcome to apply.


As its name shows, it’s a temporary visa. You can live, study and work in Australia for up to 18 months with a 485 visa. It is also possible to add your family members to your visa application. Regarding this, if you need help submitting your visa application, you can book a consultation with us at any time!


What Do You Require to Apply for Visa 485?

You must be no older than 50 years of age to qualify for a 485 Visa Australia. You must have held a Student Visa 500 within the last six months when you apply for a 485 Visa. The Department of Home Affairs requires you to have a qualification related to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List. However, it doesn’t apply to applications that were submitted between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023.


A temporary Visa Australia 485 is a great opportunity for international students to continue living in Australia. However, the Covid-19 pandemic has badly affected them since 2020. The Australian borders have been closed for 2 years. Due to this, international students were not allowed to enter Australia. Their visas got expired and they couldn’t complete their studies.


Covid-19 has had a major impact on international students. It caused many students to leave Australia and their visas to expire. Though, the Australian Govt. has been taking steps to heal the damages. It has temporarily increased the stay period for 485 visa holders. Australia has granted the 485 Visa Extension for visas granted from December 1, 2021. People from Hong Kong and National Overseas Passport holders are also eligible for it.


As a backup, Australia has now come up with a replacement stream 485. Do you want to know what it actually is?


Keep reading to find out!


Temporary Graduate Replacement Stream 485 – What Is It?

If you currently hold or have formerly held a Graduate Visa 485, then Temporary Graduate Replacement Stream 485 is for you. The Australian Govt. has introduced this visa for 485 visa holders who lost time on their original visa due to the Covid-19 travel restrictions. With a 485 visa, you can live, work and study in Australia for a short period of time.


The replacement stream allows you to add your family members to Australia. It costs AUD 1,730. Though, if you include a family member, there’ll be separate charges. You and your family members must be in good health and have good character to be eligible for a 485 visa.


Further, you can be in or outside Australia while applying for a 485 replacement stream. Make sure you must not be in the immigration clearance when you apply and when Home Affairs grants you this visa.


Do you want to know how to apply for a replacement stream efficiently? If you want to submit your application with a high chance of approval, you can book a consultation with us!



Australian Immigration Latest News 2022 | BIG NEWS! Replacement Temporary Graduate visa Extensions.

Replacement Stream 485 – How Long Can You Stay in Australia?

You can stay in Australia from 12 months to 5 years with a replacement stream 485. Your stay period also depends on your Australian qualification or a 485 visa you held previously.


This visa will have the same grant period as your previous one, except that if you were:

  • Previously received a Post Study Work visa for 2 years as a result of your Master of Coursework qualification, you can stay in Australia for 3 years now.
  • Formerly granted a Work Stream visa for 18 months, you can stay for 2 years. When submitting your application, you must check the current period that applies.
  • Applicants from Hong Kong and British National Overseas passport holders can stay for 5 years.


Replacement Stream 485 – Final Words!

The Australian Government offers the replacement stream 485 to temporary Graduate visa holders. If you’re one of the 485 visa holders who lost time due to Covid-19 travel restrictions, you can apply for the replacement stream.


It’s a perfect opportunity for people who could complete their studies in Australia during Covid-19. Also, your stay period will depend on the level of your qualification or a 485 visa you formerly had. So, in case you need help regarding the application process, contact our registered migration agents for help!


Related Articles



I’m Nasir Nawaz. I’m a registered migration consultant in Australia. I am based in Sydney. I’ve studied Master of Laws at the University of New South Wales. I’m providing immigration services for several years.

Consult with me for legal advice on Australian visas to permanently live, study, and work in Australia.