Do you want to apply for a 485 visa but don’t know how long it takes to process? Then don’t worry! In this guide, we’ll let you know the Temporary Graduate Visa 485 processing time.
International students often choose to stay in Australia after graduation. They’ve to apply for a 485 visa to live in Australia after completing their studies. If you want to lodge an application for a Temporary Graduate Visa, you must know its processing time as well.
Continue reading to find out the details and processing time of a 485 visa Australia.
What is a Temporary Graduate Visa?
A Temporary Visa Australia 485 is a short-term visa. It’s for international students who’ve been graduated from Australia. Visa 485 allows them to live, study and work in Australia. You can live in Australia for up to 18 months.
The Australian Government has temporarily increased the stay period to 24 months for visas granted from December 1, 2021. While if you hold a Hong Kong and British National Overseas passport, you may stay for 5 years in Australia. Though, if you want to apply for a 485 visa, feel free to contact us anytime.
You can apply for a temporary graduate visa if you’re under 50 years of age. Make sure you have held a Student Visa 500 in the last 6 months before applying to visa 485. Your qualification should be relevant to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List.
Further, you must have applied for a skills assessment in your nominated occupation listed on the skilled occupation list.
What is Graduate Visa 485 Processing Time?
If you want to know the exact Temporary Graduate Visa 485 processing time, then here’s what you’re looking for. The Department of Home Affairs processes all applications for a Temporary Visa Australia.
It generally processes:
- 25% of applications within 9 months
- 50% of applications within 10 months
- 75% of applications within 10 months
- 90% of applications within 12 months
Home Affairs prioritizes visa applications with complete documents. If you fill out the application correctly, the Department of Home Affairs will process your application quickly. Make sure you complete the 485 visa checklist.
Don’t miss a single document as Home Affairs will refuse your application. Furthermore, you must meet the eligibility requirements for a 485 visa. If you take care of these things, Home Affairs will process your visa application quickly.
How to Apply for a Graduate Visa Australia 485?
You can apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa online through your ImmiAccount. Here’re a few steps through which you can lodge your application successfully.
- Create or login to your ImmiAccount.
- Attach the complete documents with your application. Check out the “Temporary Graduate 485 Visa Checklist” to see the required documents.
- If your family members are applying with you, they must have paid the application fee and attached their documents.
- The main applicant must pay the visa application charge. The Department of Home Affairs will not finalize your application without a visa fee.
Temporary Graduate Replacement Visa
A 485 Replacement Temporary Graduate Visa will be issued by the Home Affairs Department. Only foreign students impacted by Australia’s travel restrictions will have access to this replacement visa.
The Replacement stream will acknowledge the dedication out-of-country students demonstrate toward Australia. It will comprehend the interruption to schedules caused by Covid-19 and other related travel restrictions.
You must meet the following requirements in order to be qualified for a Replacement 485 Temporary Graduate Visa:
- hold or are in possession of a 485 visa that expires on or after February 1, 2020.
- have travelled outside of Australia between February 1, 2020 and December 15, 2021.
How to boost Graduate Visa 485 Processing Time?
The key to boosting your visa 485 processing time is to meet the eligibility criteria. Make sure you submit all the documents with your visa application. As if you miss any document, Home Affairs will refuse your application. Fill out your application correctly and don’t provide misleading information. Any sort of false details will directly lead you to visa refusal.
Submit your visa application correctly with complete documents to avoid delay in the Graduate Visa 485 Processing Time.
You need to pay your visa application charges. Without paying the visa fee, your application will not be valid. The Department of Home Affairs might contact you for further information. Therefore, you must respond to them as soon as you can. Your visa will be in your hands earlier than expected if you meet visa requirements and submit complete documents.
How do I know if my 485 is approved?
Once Home Affairs decides on your 485 visa application, it will let you know in writing. If it grants you the Temporary Graduate Visa, you’ll be provided with your:
- Visa grant number
- Visa conditions
- Date when your visa starts
On the other hand, if your visa application gets refused, Home Affairs will let you know. It’ll tell you why it refused your application for a 485 visa Australia. However, if you want to apply for a visa 485 with a high chance of visa approval, you can contact us anytime.
What is the English Requirement for 485 Visa?
You’ve to prove your English language proficiency to get a Temporary Graduate Visa. You don’t need to prove it if you hold a valid passport from the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland.
If you don’t hold a passport from any of these countries, you must qualify for IELTS, TOEFL, OET or PTE to prove your English language proficiency.
- For IELTS, you’ve to score at least 6 with a minimum score of 5 for each of the 4 parts.
- For TOEFL, at least 64 points overall, including a minimum of 4 points for listening, 4 points for reading, 14 points for writing, and 14 points for speaking are required.
- For PTE, an overall score of at least 50, with a minimum score of 36 for each of the 43 parts is required.
- For OET, at least B in each of the 4 parts is a must.
- For Cambridge C1 Advanced test, at least 169 on the overall test and a minimum of 154 on each of the four components are required.
Can I Travel Outside Australia on a Visa 485?
Yes, you can. If you hold a Temporary Graduate Visa, you can travel outside Australia and return as well. You can enjoy this multiple travel facility as long as your visa is valid.
Graduate Visa 485 Processing Time – Final Thoughts!
A Temporary Graduate Visa 485 processing time depends and varies on individual circumstances. We’ve penned down the details of the 485 visa processing time. However, you must fill out your application correctly. As the processing time might delay if you don’t provide sufficient information.
So, make sure you take care of all the necessary things for the 485 visa application. If you need help submitting your 485 visa application, you can get in touch with us for complete guidance.
FAQs for Graduate Visa 485
Q1: Can I bring my family members with me on a 485 visa?
A1: Your family members can join you in Australia if you hold a 485 visa. Your 485 visa duration depends on your specific circumstances. Normally, Graduate Work stream visas are valid for 18 months from the grant date.
Q2: Can I work more than 40 hours on a 485 visa?
A2: The holders of a 485 visa can work as many hours as they wish during any week, there are no restrictions on the number of hours they are permitted to work.
Q3: How long do I need to study to qualify for a 485 visa?
A3: To qualify for a 485 visa, you must study in Australia for two years. It must take at least 92 weeks to complete a course according to CRICOS.
Q4:How long is the Temporary Graduate Visa valid?
A4: The validity of a 485 visa varies between 2 and 4 years from the date of grant. For different study programs, it is as follows:
- 2 years: Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s by Coursework
- 3 years: Masters by Research
- 4 years: Doctorate (Ph.D.)
- Want to Apply for 485 Visa Extension in 2022? – A Quick Guide!
- Temporary Graduate 485 Visa Checklist – A Complete Guide!
- Temporary Graduate Subclass 485 Visa New Rules
- How to Extend Visa 500 in Australia? – Get PR after Student Visa
- Strategy for International Education in Australia 2021-2030
I’m Nasir Nawaz. I’m a registered migration consultant in Australia. I am based in Sydney. I’ve studied Master of Laws at the University of New South Wales. I’m providing immigration services for several years.
Consult with me for legal advice on Australian visas to permanently live, study, and work in Australia.