Want to Apply for 485 Visa Extension in 2022? - A Quick Guide!

Want to Apply for 485 Visa Extension in 2022? – A Quick Guide!

Are you staying in Australia on a 485 visa, but it’s expiring soon? Do you want to extend your Temporary Graduate Visa? Then, here’s your opportunity to get what you need. As we’re going to discuss the 485 visa extension and the requirements to apply for it.


Australia is a beautiful country to live and work. The vast majority of international students who study in Australia decide to stay after graduation. For this purpose, they apply for a visa 485 to live in Australia for more period. However, visa 485 is a provisional visa, so, it’ll also expire after a specific time.


Many students think about extending their 485 visas. The thing is that, is it really possible to apply for a 485 visa extension? Keep reading to find out the answer.


What is a Temporary Graduate Visa 485? 

A Temporary Graduate Visa 485 is for overseas students who recently graduated from an Australian university. Visa 485 is granted to international students with specific skills and qualifications that Australia needs.


Visa 485 costs nearly AUD 1,680. You can include your family members as well in the 485 visa application. Your family members must fulfill the health and character requirements. Most importantly, there’re separate charges for each family member applying with you. Further, you must be present in Australia when you lodge an application for a visa 485.


International students who graduated from Australian institutions are eligible for a Temporary Graduate Visa 485.


It’s a short-term visa. During your stay period, you can live, study, and work in Australia. Though, The Australian Government has temporarily increased the stay period of visa 485. Under the new policies, the stay period has been increased to 24 months. This 485 visa extension is for visas granted from the 1st of December 2021.


If you hold a Hong Kong and British National Overseas passport, you may stay for 5 years in Australia. International students under 50 years of age can apply for a visa 485. You must have held a Student Visa 500 in the last 6 months before applying for a Temporary Graduate 485 visa. If you need help in the application process for a 485 visa, you can reach us anytime.


How Can You Apply for a 485 Visa Extension in 2022?

Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, international students have been affected badly. Many students had to leave Australia and their visas got expired. The Australian Government is taking steps to heal the damage caused by Covid-19. For this purpose, it has temporarily increased the stay period of a Temporary Graduate Visa 485.


Australia is currently offering a 485 visa extension to students affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. International students can now stay for up to 24 months in Australia on a 485 visa. This extension is only for those visas granted from December 1, 2021.


COVID-19 Temporary Graduate Replacement Stream 

The Department of Home Affairs will be issuing a Replacement Temporary Graduate 485 Visa. This replacement stream will only be available to international students affected by the travel restrictions in Australia.


The Replacement Visa will recognize the commitment international students make to Australia. It’ll acknowledge the inconvenience to plans that Covid-19 and other associated travel restrictions caused.


If you want to be eligible for a Replacement Temporary Graduate 485 Visa, you must:

  • Have held or currently hold a 485 visa which expires on or after the 1st of February 2020
  • Have been outside Australia between the 1st of February 2020 and 15th of​ December 2021


Applicants who’re unable to meet these requirements can’t apply for a Replacement Visa. Though, if you want a guide to fulfill the criteria for Replacement stream 485, feel free to contact us.



485 Replacement Visa 2022 | What is the Eligibility Criteria for 485 Visa Extension?

Replacement Visa and 485 Visa Extension

Covid-19 Temporary Graduate Replacement stream will be open to applications from mid-2022. 485 visa holders eligible for Covid-19 Temporary Graduate Replacement Stream will have their visa extended to 30th September 2022.


You’ll be able to live, work and study in Australia temporarily. Applicants can find a job on their own. The Australian Government will not be responsible for getting you employment. It’ll allow the former and current 485 visa holders to enter Australia from February 18, 2022. They’ll be able to apply for further stay in Australia.


Is Visa 485 Extension Beneficial for International Students? – Final Thoughts!


485 visa extension is for the support of international students in Australia. As international students have been adversely affected by the Covid-19 Pandemic. Therefore, The Australian Government is welcoming students back and offering visa extensions. International students can return to Australia to complete their studies and apply for employment as well.


Related Articles



Nasir nawaz Migration Agent
Nasir Nawaz

I’m Nasir Nawaz. I’m a registered migration consultant in Australia. I am based in Sydney. I’ve studied Master of Laws at the University of New South Wales. I’m providing immigration services for several years.

Consult with me for legal advice on Australian visas to permanently live, study, and work in Australia.

Do you need more assistance?