Do you have a partner who’s an Australian permanent resident? Are you anxious about how you can live with your partner in Australia? Then you shouldn’t be worried anymore. The Department of Home Affairs offers a Spouse Visa Australia to partners/spouses of Australian residents.
Spouse Visa provides you an opportunity to move in with your partner in Australia. However, there’re some terms and conditions to follow to apply for a spouse visa.
So in this guide, we’ll elaborate on Spouse Visa details and its advantages for overseas people.
What is a Spouse Visa Australia 309?
A Spouse Visa 309 is a pathway to reunite with your partner in Australia. Partners/spouses of Australian permanent residents, Australian citizens, or citizens of New Zealand are eligible for a visa 309. Spouse Visa Australia 309 is a temporary visa. It’s the first step to obtain a permanent spouse visa 100 in Australia.
The cost of Visa 309 starts from AUD 7,850. This fee covers visas 309 and Visa 100 both. The charges for your family members will be separate from yours. They must pay the visa charges unless they hold a Dependent Child Visa 445.
309 Partner Visa is for offshore applicants. You must be outside Australia when you apply for a Spouse Visa 309. You can stay in Australia temporarily while your application for visa 100 is in the process. Offshore Spouse visa has 2 subclasses which are Visa 309 and Visa 100.
So let’s now dive into the details of offshore Spouse Visa 100.
Spouse Visa Australia 100
Spouse Visa 100 is a permanent visa. It allows a de facto partner or spouse of an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen, or an eligible citizen of New Zealand to live in Australia permanently. Visa 100 is only granted to people who hold a Temporary Spouse Visa 309.
Once you obtain a Spouse Visa 100, you’ll become a permanent resident of Australia. You will be able to live, study, and work in Australia permanently. Your relationship with your spouse must be genuine to get a Spouse Visa 100. Being a visa 100 holder, you can sponsor your relatives to visit Australia. Further, you can travel in and outside Australia multiple times for the initial 5 years until your visa is valid.
Why is it the Best Option for Immigration to Australia?
A Spouse Visa Australia is the best option to migrate to Australia. As your partner is already an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident. Therefore, they can sponsor you to apply for a Spouse Visa. Australia offers a Spouse Visa, particularly to people who’re married to or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen or resident.
Many people choose to get married to an Australian resident to get PR in Australia. It’s a good idea to be settled in Australia permanently. If you’re married or have a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, you can ask them to sponsor you for a Spouse Visa. Once Home Affairs grants you a Spouse Visa, you can live in Australia permanently.
How long does Spouse Visa take Australia?
A Spouse Visa Australia takes a few months to be processed. There’s a different processing time for a Spouse Visa 309 and 100 Visa applications. The Department of Home Affairs processes all applications for Australian visas.
For Spouse 309 visa applications, it takes:
- 4 months to process 25% of applications
- 8 months to finalize 50% of applications
- 21 months to finalize 75% of applications
- 29 months to process 90% of applications
Whereas for a Spouse Visa 100, Home Affairs processes:
- 25% of applications in 6 months
- 50% of applications in 9 months
- 75% of applications in 12 months
- 90% of applications in 18 months
The Department of Home Affairs may take longer to process your application if you don’t fill it correctly. Make sure to provide the complete documents with the application. Moreover, Home Affairs might contact you for further information on your visa application. Therefore, you must respond to them as soon as possible.
What are the Requirements for Spouse Visa in Australia?
The Department of Home Affairs has set some conditions to apply for a Spouse Visa 309 and 100.
To obtain Visa 309, you must:
- Have a genuine relationship with your partner/spouse
- Have a partner who must be an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen, or an eligible citizen of New Zealand
- Be sponsored
- Be 18 years old or older
- Meet the health and character requirements
- Pay your debts back to the Australian Government if there’re any
- Not have had a visa canceled before applying to a Spouse Visa
- Be in the best interest of a child under 18 years of age
If you want to apply for a Spouse Visa 100, you must:
- Hold a Temporary Spouse Visa 309 or a Dependent Child Visa 445
- Continue to meet the relationship requirements
- Have a genuine relationship with the same person who sponsored you for a Temporary Spouse Visa.
- Not owe money to the Australian Government. If you owe debts, you must have arranged to pay them back.
Migrate to Australia with Spouse Visa – Final Thoughts
You must be outside Australia when you apply for visas 100 and 309. If you obtain a Spouse Visa, you can enjoy all the benefits in Australia just as other Australians. So, if you need help to migrate to Australia with Spouse Visa, feel free to contact us.
- Documents to Apply for Offshore Partner Visa – A Complete Guide!
- Australian Partner Visa – 5 tips to avoid Partner Visa Rejection
- How Long Does 801 Partner Visa Take to Process?
I’m Nasir Nawaz. I’m a registered migration consultant in Australia. I am based in Sydney. I’ve studied Master of Laws at the University of New South Wales. I’m providing immigration services for several years.
Consult with me for legal advice on Australian visas to permanently live, study, and work in Australia.