Many people don’t know what to do after getting permanent residency in Australia. So, once you become an Australian permanent resident, you can enjoy many facilities. The Australian Government offers many opportunities to its permanent residents. Thousands of international students and employees choose Australia for permanent living.
The Department of Home Affairs offers different visas for permanent residency in Australia. If you’re wondering what things should be on your to-do list after getting PR in Australia, then here’s everything you need to know.
What to Do After Getting Permanent Residency in Australia?
If you successfully get PR in Australia, you can live there permanently. The Australian Government provides work opportunities to permanent residents. Australia has a high demand for skilled and qualified people. Therefore, you can work in Australian firms in any field in which you’re highly proficient.
So, if you’re wondering what to do after getting permanent residency in Australia, here’re the details.
As a permanent resident, you can;
- Live in Australia permanently.
- Study and work anywhere in Australia
- Apply for bank loans to purchase a property in Australia
- Enroll in Medicare to get medical services. Medicare is the public healthcare scheme of Australia.
- Sponsor your eligible family members to visit Australia and apply for permanent residency.
- Apply for Australian Citizenship if you’ve spent at least 4 years and have lived for at least 12 months as a permanent resident of Australia.
- Attend free English classes administered by the Adult Migrant English Program
- Obtain social security benefits related to education, unemployment and health after 2 years of living in Australia.
- Have access to Medicare services and public hospitals.
- Purchase commercial properties, businesses, and even start your own business.
How long does it take to get Australian Citizenship in 2022?
You’ve to meet the eligibility requirements to get Australian citizenship in 2022. For Australian citizenship, you must;
- Be a permanent resident of Australia
- Be above 16 years of age
- Have lived in Australia for at least 4 years and 12 months as an Australian permanent resident.
- Have a good character
How to become a Permanent Resident Australia?
Australia is home to international students and skilled migrants. Many students decide to settle in Australia permanently after graduation. The Department of Home Affairs offers study visas and skilled migration visas. International students who want to continue studying in Australia can apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa. They can also apply for skilled visas such as 491, 189, and 190 visa.
However, international students must submit their Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect. As Skilled Visas are points-based. Applicants gain points for skilled visas according to their Expression of Interest. Skilled Migration Visas allows eligible applicants to work and live in Australia permanently.
So, if you’re interested in applying for a skilled visa in Australia, you can book a consultation with us.
Eligibility requirements for PR in Australia
- Age – you must be less than 45 in age.
- Point’s Grid – get 65 points
- Test of English Proficiency – You must get a good score on an English language test first.
- Occupation: Your work must be on the MLTSSL list.
- Skill criteria: Have your skills checked based on your work history and education.
- Show the authorities that you are honest and healthy.
Before applying for an Australian visa, ensure you meet the requirements that will lead to permanent residency.
Once you get confirmation of your visa, you must fill out an application for a skill assessment. The person in charge of the PR process looks at several steps, processes, and processing times.
A Quick Look at the Steps of the PR Process in Australia
Step 1: You have to check to see if you are eligible or not.
Step 2: Ask the designated authority to check your skills.
Step 3 – Submit an Expression of Interest
Step 4: Obtain a visa online by providing proof of identity.
How can I increase my chances of getting a PR in Australia?
You can increase your chances of obtaining PR in Australia with a few steps. You can stay in Australia after completing your studies and gain work experience. Australia offers 485 visa to international graduates.
You can study and work in Australia with visa 485 for up to 18 months. In this way, you can gain work experience relevant to your field.
When you get work experience, you might be eligible for Skilled Visas in Australia. Skilled visas allow people to move to Australia on a permanent basis. Therefore, you can work on your skills and apply for a relevant occupation in Australia.
You can gain work experience by staying in Australia on visa 485 and becoming eligible for skilled visas to work in Australia permanently.
Australia has a high demand for skilled employees. So, if you possess skills and abilities, you may be able to work in Australian firms. Skilled workers can apply for Skilled Independent Visa 189 to permanently settle in Australia.
Australia also offers a Skilled Nominated Visa 190. It’s for nominated skilled employees. As if an Australian state/territory government nominates you, you can apply for visa 190.
Ultimately, these visas will lead you to permanent residency in Australia. If you meet the visa requirements and qualify for the points test, you can definitely get PR in Australia. Furthermore, Australia offers many other visas which can lead you to PR. Such as Family visas, Carer Visa, Employer-Sponsored visas.
Many people wonder what to do after getting permanent residency in Australia. If you’ve got PR in Australia, you can avail lots of benefits. It is possible to live, work, and study in Australia indefinitely if you’ve PR.
You can enroll in Medicare to get public healthcare services in Australia. The Australian Government provides the same rights to its permanent residents as other Australians have.
So, if you’re still confused about what to do after getting permanent residency in Australia, you can book a consultation with us.
- How to Extend Visa 500 in Australia? – Get PR after Student Visa
- How Many Points required for PR in Australia in 2021?- Complete Guide
- 407 Visa to PR in Australia? Is it Possible?
I’m Nasir Nawaz. I’m a registered migration consultant in Australia. I am based in Sydney. I’ve studied Master of Laws at the University of New South Wales. I’m providing immigration services for several years.
Consult with me for legal advice on Australian visas to permanently live, study, and work in Australia.