Documents to Apply for Offshore Partner Visa - A Complete Guide!

Documents to Apply for Offshore Partner Visa – A Complete Guide!

Many people around the world are married to an Australian partner. The Department of Home Affairs offers a Partner Visa for such people. If your spouse lives in Australia and you want to move in with him, then Partner Visa is for you. People outside Australia can apply for an offshore Partner Visa to migrate to Australia permanently.


Partner Visa consists of 2 subclasses, including 309 and 100. Both visas are granted to offshore people who want to live with their partners in Australia. The main difference between visa 309 and 100 is that 309 is a temporary visa. While visa 100 allows you to live in Australia permanently.


So, let’s dive into the details to apply for Partner Visas 309 and 100.


Offshore Partner Visa 309 

Partner Visa 309 is a provisional visa. It temporarily allows you to live with your spouse or de facto partner in Australia. Your partner must be an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen, or New Zealand citizen. It’s the first step to be eligible for a permanent Partner Visa 100. Though, you must be outside Australia when you apply for visa 309.


The cost of visas 309 and 100 starts from AUD 7,850. You can live, study in Australia until your visa 100 gets processed. Visa 309 also offers a multiple travel facility. As you can travel from and to Australia as many times as you want.


During your stay, you can attend the free English classes in Australia. The Adult Migrant English Program administers English language classes in Australia. You can also work in Australia with Partner visa 309. However, if you’re interested in working in Australian firms, you can book a consultation with us. Further, you can enroll in Medicare to get the healthcare facilities in Australia.


Documents for Offshore Partner Visa 309 

The Department of Home Affairs asks for some documents to apply for visa 309.


These documents include;

  • Birth certificate
  • Pages of your current passport along with your photograph and personal information
  • The issue and expiration date of your passport
  • National identity card
  • Evidence of change of a name if it’s required. It may include your marriage/divorce certificate.
  • Marriage certificate to show that your marriage is valid in Australia.
  • Provide evidence that you’ve a genuine relationship with your spouse or de facto partner.
  • You must provide Police Certificates if you’ve lived in Australia for a year or more than that in the past 10 years since you turned 16.


Documents for Partner Visa 100 

The Department of Home Affairs assesses you for 100 visa 2 years after submitting your application. You must submit the documents one month before the 2 years date. Applicants are advised not to send them before this time.


So, here’re the required documents to apply for offshore Partner Visa 100.

  • Evidence that you’ve a mutual commitment with your partner.
  • Proof that you live together
  • Evidence of joint bank account statements
  • Evidence of joint loan for a significant asset like a house, car, or appliance
  • Documents to show your living arrangements shared email address, or proof of joint responsibility for your children.
  • Prove that you’re in a long-term relationship with your partner in Australia
  • Evidence that your friends, family, or relatives know about your relationship
  • Submit 2 statutory declarations from people who know about your relationship. They include your partner’s family, parents, relatives, or friends.
  • Current passport along with your signature
  • Submit the Australian police certificate if you didn’t provide it for your visa 309.


How to Prepare Documents for Visa 100 and 309?

Make sure to prepare your documents properly for visas 100 and 309. All of your documents must be translated into English. Scan or photograph all of your documents in color. The scans and photos must be clear. Applicants are advised to keep a copy of the visa application.



BIG Changes to Partner Visa | November 2021 | Which States are Open for Offshore Applicants?

How Long Does It take for an Australian Partner Visa to be approved?

The Department of Home Affairs processes all applications for Partner visas.


The general processing time for visa 309 is;

  • 25% of applications within 5 months
  • 50% of applications within 10 months
  • 75% of applications within 22 months
  • 90% of applications within 29 months


The Processing time for visa 100 is;

  • 75% of applications in 13 months
  • 90% of applications in19 months



Offshore Partner Visa is for people who’re married to an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen, or citizen of New Zealand. If your partner sponsors you, you can apply for visa 309 and 100 in Australia. Partner visa 309 is a temporary visa and visa 100 allows you to live in Australia permanently. This is a perfect visa for overseas people to move to Australia and live with their partners.


Related Articles 




I’m Nasir Nawaz. I’m a registered migration consultant in Australia. I am based in Sydney. I’ve studied Master of Laws at the University of New South Wales. I’m providing immigration services for several years.

Consult with me for legal advice on Australian visas to permanently live, study, and work in Australia.