Australia is the most popular country for skilled overseas employees. Many people choose Australia when they think about moving abroad. The Government of Australia provides numerous work opportunities to skilled workers from all around the world. If you possess skills and want to be nominated by an Australian employer, you must apply for 482 Visa.
The Department of Home Affairs offers Employer Sponsored Visas. Skilled workers nominated by Australian employers can apply for Visa 482. This visa allows employers to sponsor professional employees to work in their business. Keep reading to find more about the purpose and eligibility of 482 visa.
Temporary Skill Shortage Visa 482
Temporary Skill Shortage allows Australian employers to nominate skilled overseas workers. The purpose of visa 482 is to fill the labor shortages where employers can’t find skilled Australian workers. 482 Visa is a temporary visa. You can work in Australia for 2 to 4 years. If you hold a Hong Kong passport, then you can stay for 5 years in Australia.
If you’re sponsored by an Australian employer and need help to apply for visa 482, book your consultation with us!
Visa 482 costs nearly AUD 1,290. It offers a multiple travel facility. Being a visa 482 holder, you can travel from and to Australia as often as you like until your visa is valid. You must leave Australia when your visa 482 gets expired. Though, if you want to work in Australia but your visa is going to expire, you must apply for a new visa. Further, your existing employer has to submit a new nomination for you.
Can a 482 Visa Lead to Permanent Residency?
You can apply for PR in Australia if you’re eligible. Your employer may sponsor you for permanent residence. However, your employer can sponsor you through the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) and Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187).
482 Visa Australia is not a permanent visa. However, you can switch from a 482 visa to PR if you meet a few requirements.
To be eligible for a transition from Subclass 482 to PR in Australia, you must;
- Have worked with the same employer for 3 years in Australia
- Have the same sponsor for Temporary Skill Shortage Visa 482 for 3 years
- Be under 45 years of age when you apply for PR in Australia
- Have competent English and scored at least 6.0 in all parts of IELTS
Who is Eligible for 482 Visa Australia?
The Department of Home Affairs has set particular criteria for 482 Visa If you apply, then you must meet its eligibility criteria.
To obtain 482 Visa Australia, you must;
- Have a minimum of 2 years of work experience in your nominated occupation.
- Hold a positive skills assessment for your occupation.
- Intend to work only for your sponsor unless you’re exempt.
- Hold a substantive visa or a Bridging visa A, Bridging Visa B, or Bridging Visa C.
- Be nominated by an approved sponsor in Australia. Your employer will have to submit a nomination for you to apply for visa 482.
- Possess the required skills, qualifications, and work experience for your nominated occupation.
- Have your health insurance. You must maintain your adequate health cover for your stay period in Australia.
- Meet the health and character requirements.
- Be a genuine temporary entrant to stay and work in Australia. You must be a genuine applicant to arrive and stay in Australia as a short-term visa holder.
- Not owe money to the Australian Government. You must have arranged to pay all debts back if there’re any.
- Sign the Australian Values Statement to confirm that you’ll respect Australian laws and its way of living.
Watch “Mandatory Requirements for Skill Assessment | Are you Exempted from Skill Assessment? ” on our YT Channel.
How Long Does a 482 Visa Take to Process?
Temporary Skill Shortage 482 Visa takes a few months to process. The Department of Home Affairs processes Australian visa applications on a case-by-case basis.
It generally takes;
- 9 months to process 75% of applications.
- 11 months to process 90% of the application.
The processing time doesn’t always remain the same. As it depends on the individual circumstances. Home Affairs may take longer to process your application if it doesn’t include the required documents. You must fill your visa application correctly.
Additionally, you must pay your visa application fee. As Home Affairs can’t process your application if you don’t pay the fee. Home Affairs may contact you for more details. Therefore, you must respond to them as soon as possible.
Temporary Skill Shortage Visa 482 is to fill the labor shortages in Australia. Employers in Australia can sponsor overseas employees for their business where they can’t find a skilled Australian employee. It’s a great opportunity for skilled overseas workers to explore their abilities in Australia. So, if you want to be a part of the Australian economy, you must apply for 482 Visa.
- Starting your career in Australia? TSS visa can be the best option!
- Temporary graduate visa or TSS Visa Subclass 482? Which one is a better option?
I’m Nasir Nawaz. I’m a registered migration consultant in Australia. I am based in Sydney. I’ve studied Master of Laws at the University of New South Wales. I’m providing immigration services for several years.
Consult with me for legal advice on Australian visas to permanently live, study, and work in Australia.