How to Get Australian Citizenship after Permanent Residency? Here’s everything you need to know!
Australian citizenship allows people to live, study and work freely in any region of Australia. Being an Australian citizen, you’ve the right to vote for Australian Government elections. Australia becomes your permanent home once you get citizenship in Australia.
If you want to apply for citizenship in Australia so, you can consult with our registered migration agents in Australia!
People often mix these two concepts of having PR and citizenship in Australia. However, Australian permanent residency and citizenship are entirely different things. There’re some significant differences between the rights and privileges for both of them.
How to Get Australian Citizenship after Permanent Residency?
You can apply for Australian citizenship after 3 years of being a permanent resident in Australia. However, you’re required to meet the eligibility criteria to obtain Australian citizenship. You have to complete the application form and pay the charges to the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA).
DOHA contacts applicants after receiving the applications for permanent residency. The successful applicants get the invitation to attend the Australian citizenship ceremony. This ceremony consists of the Australian Citizenship Pledge.
Ways to Become Australian Citizen
There’re 3 different ways to get Australian citizenship. It consists of;
- You can become an Australian citizen by birth. For instance, if you’re born in Australia and your parents are Australian permanent residents or eligible citizens in Australia.
- Australian Government offers the opportunity to become an Australian citizen by descent. If one or both of your parents are Australian citizens, you’ll automatically get Australian citizenship. Even though, if you’re born outside Australia, it’ll not affect the process of your citizenship for Australia.
- If you’re a non-citizen, you can directly apply for Australian citizenship to the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA). However, you have to meet the eligibility requirements and abide by the mandatory rules for Australian citizenship.
Requirements for Australian Citizenship
The Australian Government has set some requirements which have to be fulfilled to get Australian citizenship successfully. They include;
- Being a permanent resident of Australia is a must.
- Must be above 16 years.
- You must know about the rules, privileges and responsibilities to live as an Australian citizen.
- You’ve been living in Australia for 4 years, including 12 months of being a permanent resident.
Australian Citizenship Test
The Important part of “How to Get Australian Citizenship after Permanent Residency?” is the citizenship test. Applicants between 18 to 59 years of age applying for Australian citizenship by conferral have to attend an interview and a citizenship test. The citizenship test evaluates your familiarity and understanding of the Australian culture, norms, values and culture.
The Australian citizenship test is for the upcoming Australian citizens to learn buy cialis through paypal about the tradition, national symbols, history and culture. It assesses your English language skills and knowledge about the rights and privileges to live as an Australian citizen. The test ensures that whether applicants can participate in the Australian community as a citizen.
However, you have to fulfil certain requirements for the citizenship test. It includes;
- Permanent residency in Australia is required.
- You’re required to provide your photograph to the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA).
- Providing your identity details is a must to register for the citizenship test.
Responsibilities of Being an Australian Citizen
The Australian Government expects eligible citizens to fulfil their responsibilities while living in Australia. These responsibilities include;
- Australian citizens are required to abide by the rules and policies of Australia.
- They’re required to be enrolled in the Australian state/territory electoral registers.
- They can vote in the Australian Government elections.
- Australian citizens must defend Australia when required.
- Serve as jury if they’re called.
Perks Australian Citizenship
The Government of Australia provides amazing facilities and benefits to Australian citizens. As with Australian citizenship, you can;
- Travel from and to Australia without applying for a return visa.
- Apply for an Australian passport.
- Apply for Australian citizenship by descent for your child who’s born outside Australia.
- Allowed to work in the Australian Defense Force or Public Health Services.
- Stand in the Parliament of Australia.
- Vote in the Australian Government elections.
Differences between Australian PR and Citizenship
Australian Government provides many benefits and rights to Australian citizens and permanent residents. Both can enrol in public health and medical services in Australia. However, you can find the significant differences between their rights below.
This conclude the whole procedure of “How to Get Australian Citizenship after Permanent Residency?” with all the procedure and steps. The Australian Government offers various benefits to the citizens of Australia. It gives the right and privilege to citizens to work in the public health sector. As an Australian citizen, you have the right to vote in the federal and state/territory elections in Australia. However, you must follow the conditions and eligibility to get Australian citizenship.
Book your appointment with our registered migration agents to apply for Australian citizenship!
- How to get Permanent Residence in Australia? – New Visa Categories 2021
- Increased Flexibility for Australian Citizenship Applicants – New Requirements