If you want to live in Australia after completing your studies so, you must need a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485). Here’s all that you need to know about the 485 visa requirements in Australia.
What is a Temporary Graduate Visa?
A Temporary Graduate Visa allows international students to live, study and work in Australia. International students must have completed their course program from an Australian institution to apply for visa 485. They should have completed at least two years of study in Australia to apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa.
The overseas students who have skills and qualifications relevant to the specific occupations in Australia are granted with subclass 485. It’s a temporary visa that allows students to stay for more than 18 months in Australia. However, the 485 visa requirements are applicants who hold a Hong Kong passport can stay for 5 years in Australia.
If you are an international student and want to complete 485 Visa requirements so, you can make an appointment with our registered migration agents in Australia.
The Australian Government allows applicants to add their family members to the Visa 485 visa application. Though, family members must meet the health and character requirements set by the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA). Further, all applicants are required to pay AUD 1,680 to lodge their application for the Temporary Graduate Visa . They’re also required to pay the additional charges for health checks, biometrics and police certification.
Temporary Graduate 485 Visa Requirements
All international students are required to satisfy the eligibility 485 visa requirements to receive this visa. Australian Government has set criteria for people who want to apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa. The 485 visa requirements include,
- Applicants must be under 50 years of age to apply for the subclass 485.
- They must have had a Student visa in the last 6 months.
- They should be graduated in a field that is relevant to the occupations listed on the Skilled Occupation List.
- Applicants must have applied for a skills assessment in their selected occupation on the Skilled Occupation List.
- Applicants must provide proof of English language proficiency in their 485 visa application.
- All applicants should hold a valid visa while applying for subclass 485. Such as, they must hold a Bridging Visa A OR Bridging Visa B while their application for Temporary Graduate Visa is in the process.
- International students must have graduated with a degree that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Course for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
- Applicants are required to apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa six months before completing their course study in Australia.
- Applicants must meet the health and character requirements set by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection in Australia.
- Applicants must have health insurance to cover their health expenses during their stay period in Australia.
How to Apply 485 Visa in Australia?
The Department of Home Affairs has provided the application process for visa 485. You must collect all the required documents to support your application. Then you can create or login to ImmiAccount to submit your application. You’ve to attach all your documents there and pay the application fee.
Paying the visa application fee is very important. As Home Affairs can’t process your application if you don’t pay the fee. If you’ve added a family member to the application, you need to pay their fee as well. Further, you must choose the visa stream carefully. As you won’t be able to make changes after applying.
Applicants are advised to provide Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) document checklist when they apply.
These documents include;
- Proof of completion of your course
- Proof of English language proficiency
- All applicants over the age of 16 must provide evidence that they have applied for an AFP check
- Proof of adequate health insurance
- Proof that you’ve applied for a skills assessment in your nominated occupation on the skilled occupation list.
Once you apply, Home Affairs will inform you. Make sure to meet 485 visa requirements to obtain this visa. If your application gets approved, you’ll get your visa grant number. While if Home Affairs refuses your application, it’ll let you know the reasons. Moreover, the visa application fee is non-refundable. No matter if your application gets refused, you’ll not get your money back.
485 Visa New Rules
The Australian Government has introduced a few changes to Temporary Graduate Visa. The significant points of 485 visa new rules 2021 include;
- Students who graduate from Vocational Education and Training (VET) will also receive a 2-year Temporary Graduate visa.
- Australia will increase the stay period on visa 485 from 2 to 3 years for Masters by Coursework graduates.
- 485 visa holders who couldn’t travel to Australia due to the Covid-19 travel restrictions may apply for a replacement visa. It’ll also allow 485 visa holders whose visas ended on or after 1 February 2020 to reapply for a new 485 visa of similar duration to their original visa.
Changes to the Temporary Graduate visa will be executed from the 1st of December 2021. While you can apply for a replacement visa from the 1st of July 2022.
Perks of Having a Temporary Graduate Visa 485
The Temporary Graduate Visa allows international students to stay for 18 months in Australia. Applicants are also allowed to work in a relevant field of their occupation in Australia. However, they’ll have to find employment themselves as the Australian Government will not be responsible for getting them any jobs.
Moreover, the Temporary Graduate visa holders can travel from and to Australia as many times as they want. They can travel outside Australia and return before the expiry date of their visa 485. One of the amazing benefits of this visa is the inclusion of family in the visa application. Applicants can add their family members to their application for the Subclass 485.
How to Get Australian PR with Subclass 485?
After completing your studies in Australia and receiving the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485), you may apply for permanent residency in Australia. After completing 485 visa requirements, you can make your way to permanent residency in Australia.
If you need assistance to apply for the Australian PR, you can consult with our registered migration agents in Australia. You can apply to different visas further, turning your subclass 485 to permanent residency in Australia. They include,
Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)
You can be eligible for the TSS visa (subclass 482) if you’ve worked in a nominated occupation in Australia for at least two years. You can fulfil this work requirement through the Temporary Graduate Visa and obtain the TSS visa 482 later.
Skilled Visas (Subclass 190, 489, 189)
The Skilled visas points-based visas and applicants must qualify the points test to get visa 190, 189 or 489. Therefore, Temporary Graduate Visa can help you increase your points for the State Regional Provisional Visa (Subclass 489), Visa 190 and Visa 189.
Employer Sponsored Visa (Subclass 186)
Visa 186 is a permanent visa that requires sponsorship from an employer to get you this visa. As you’ve been working on Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485), it will help you get the work experience and sponsorship from your employer.
How to get Visa 485 Extension in 2022?
A serious impact has been felt by international students due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Numerous students whose visas had expired had to leave Australia. Australia is repairing the damage caused by Covid-19. It has temporarily extended the stay time of a Temporary Graduate 485 Visa for this reason.
Students impacted by the Covid-19 epidemic are currently eligible for a visa 485 extension from Australia. It is now possible for international students to stay in Australia for up to 2 years on a visa 485. This extension only applies to visas issued starting on December 1, 2021.
The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) is designed for international students and graduates from Australian institutions. If you want to live, study, and work in Australia, you can apply for visa 485. It’s an excellent opportunity for eligible overseas students who want to live for more period and work in Australia after completing their studies.
However, you’re required to fulfil the 485 visa requirements to obtain this visa. You can book an appointment with a registered migration agent to get through the whole visa process smoothly.
- Temporary Graduate 485 Visa Checklist
- Want to Apply for 485 Visa Extension in 2022? – A Quick Guide!
- Temporary Graduate Subclass 485 Visa New Rules
I’m Nasir Nawaz. I’m a registered migration consultant in Australia. I am based in Sydney. I’ve studied Master of Laws at the University of New South Wales. I’m providing immigration services for several years.
Consult with me for legal advice on Australian visas to permanently live, study, and work in Australia.