Student Visa Extension Australia Stay in Australia for more time?

Apply for Student Visa Extension Australia 2021- Staying in Australia for more time?

If your Student Visa (Subclass 500) is about to expire and you want to stay in Australia for more time so you must apply for the Student visa extension. International students often start working in Australia International students are required to apply for their Student Visa extension Australia at least 3 months before the visa expiry date.


What is Student Visa?

Student visa (Subclass 500) allows international students to travel to Australia and stay for 5 years. The overseas students can enrol in any eligible course which they want to study in Australia. They can live in Australia according to the duration of their course study. Student visa also allows applicants to bring their family members to Australia.


Students can apply for the student visa whether they’re outside or in Australia. They’re required to pay AUD 630 to lodge their application for Student Visa. Applicants must provide all the documents to the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) to process their applications quickly. Moreover, they can work in Australia for up to 40 hours every two weeks after their course starts.


Apply for Student Visa Extension Australia

You’re required to apply for a new visa 3 months before your current Student Visa expires. If you do not apply for a new visa so you might be deported from Australia. Or else you’ll face issues in your visa application process in the future.


If you’re an international student in Australia and want to extend your Students visa so you can consult with our registered migration agents. The Student Visa extension takes time to process, therefore, overseas students are advised to apply for it as soon as possible. However, the recommended time to apply for a Student Visa extension Australia is 3 months before the expiration of your current visa.


If you’re residing in Australia while applying for your Student Visa extension so you’ll be granted a Bridging Visa A (BVA). As, BVA allows applicants to stay in Australia until their new Student visa gets processed.


Steps to Apply for Student Visa Extension  Australia

Here’re all the steps that you need to follow to complete the process of Student visa extension.

Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

As an international student, you’re required to be enrolled in the course you want to study in Australia. You must have a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) before you lodge an application for your new Student visa . You may receive the CoE after registering and paying all the charges for your course study to your education provider in Australia.


Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

International students are required to provide their health insurance to get a Student visa extension. Students enrolled in Australian institutes to undertake formal studies must have the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). OSHC covers all the health and medical expenses of international students in Australia.


All international students from outside Australia who’ve undergone a recent health checkup must provide their health examination. Furthermore, the Australian authorities will only accept the most recent health records. Therefore, applicants are required to show the latest health checkups to apply for the Student visa extension Australia.



Applicants are required to provide particular documents to process their application for a Student visa extension. Some of the documents consist of evidence of your course enrollment in Australia and Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) details. Moreover, onshore applicants who want to renew their visa 500 will have to pay an extra $700 to get a Student visa extension.


Though, all onshore and offshore applicants are supposed to provide the following documentation.

  • Certified copy of the birth certificate
  • Passport identity page along with a copy of each page with a stamp of Australian immigration
  • National identity card
  • Resume/Curriculum Vitae
  • If you’re under 18 years of age, you must provide your parental consent
  • Your personal statement must include why you want to extend your Student visa, your financial situation, and the course you want to study in Australia.
  • Policy number of your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)


Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)

It’s very important for international students to meet the eligibility requirements of Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE). It’s an official written statement that asks for specific details of applicants for a Student Visa extension Australia. They include,

  • Study purpose in Australia
  • Duration of course study and its outcomes
  • Circumstances in the homeland
  • Possible circumstances in the island nation
  • Annual earning of the family
  • Yearly expenses of students


Furthermore, the migration authorities ask for all the above details. Applicants must provide authentic information so that the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) could quickly finalise their student visa extension Australia application.

Submit the Application 

After completing all the required documents, you can submit your application to the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA). You can apply online and submit your documents on your ImmiAccount. The Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) notify you with a letter of acknowledgement after you lodge your application. DOHA also provides a copy of Bridging Visa, which allows you to stay in Australia legally until you get the Student visa extension.



Australia is a beautiful destination for international students for study and building their careers. International students apply for a Student visa to live and study in Australia. However, the subclass visa 500 gets expired after 5 years. Therefore, overseas students need to apply for a Student visa extension Australia to stay for more period.


We’ve elaborated the significant steps to extend the Student visa in Australia. While your Student visa is in the process, the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) provides you with a Bridging Visa A. As, BVA allows international students to stay in Australia legally until the approval of their visa extension.




I’m Nasir Nawaz. I’m a registered migration consultant in Australia. I am based in Sydney. I’ve studied Master of Laws at the University of New South Wales. I’m providing immigration services for several years.

Consult with me for legal advice on Australian visas to permanently live, study, and work in Australia.