The Student Visa (Subclass 500) allows international students to take part in different courses in Australia. The students can also work for 40 hours along with their studies. The Student Visa holders can live for up to 5 years in Australia and start a career there. The Australian Government provides different career opportunities to skilled students to settle and build their careers in Australia. Therefore if a student wants to continue his studies in Australia or work in Australian firms then he has to apply for his student visa extension.
- Visas for Students
- Requirements for Student Visa
- Student Visa Extension
- Requirements for Student Visa Extension
- Onshore Applications
- Offshore Applicants
- Steps to Apply for Student Visa Extension
- Related Articles
Visas for Students
There are three other categories of visas which include:
- Subclass 476 – Skilled-Recognized Graduate Visa
- Subclass 485 – Temporary Graduate Visa
- Subclass 590 – Student Guardian Visa
Requirements for Student Visa
There’re certain requirements to apply for Student Visa in Australia. The candidates must fulfill all the requirements to get a Student Visa.
- The applicant must be registered in any course to study in Australia
- He should fall into one of the exemption categories offered by the Government of Australia
- He must hold the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- The candidate should have the welfare arrangement if he’s under 18 years of age.
- He must have scored a minimum of 5.0 marks in the English language proficiency test or equivalent to that.
Student Visa Extension
The student visa provides great offers related to studies and careers for international students. However, the Student Visa remains valid for 5 years. So if a student wants to continue his studies in Australia or work in Australian firms then he has to apply for his visa extension. If the visa gets expired while you’re in Australia so you’ll be deported from the country right away.
The visa can’t be extended technically as you have to apply for a new visa for your further stay in Australia. You need to apply for the visa extension for at least three months before your current visa expires.
Requirements for Student Visa Extension
There are some conditions under which you can apply for a student visa extension. They include:
- If you’ve registered for a new course to study in Australia however, your visa will not be valid to study that course.
- You’ve submitted your thesis or final project but your visa is going to get expired before the marking.
- If your research candidature has been delayed.
- If you want to study further and work in any Australian company to start your career.
If you’re applying while staying in Australia so you’ll get a Bridging Visa (BVA). It allows the applicants to live in Australia for as long as their visa extension in the process.
The candidates from outside Australia will have to wait till they get their student visa extension. You can’t enter Australia before getting your visa extension.
Steps to Apply for Student Visa Extension
There’re some important steps to follow to get your visa extension process done.
Register your Course
You have to enroll in a particular course which you want to study in Australia. Confirm your enrollment in the university you’re applying to. The institute will provide you a Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) for your selected course. Later on, you’ll be provided an official letter after the enrollment and paying your course fee.
Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
You need to provide your health insurance to the Government of Australia. You’ll have to extend your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) until your new visa gets expired. You can consult with the health insurance companies to extend the policy dates. The health examinations are an important part to extend your student visa.
You need to attach some important documents to apply for your student visa extension. You can go to the checklist tool of the Department of Home Affairs to see all the required documents.
These documents mainly include:
- National identity Card
- Birth Certificate
- Passport Identity Page
- CV or Resume which is verified by local authorities
- Documents to prove your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
- The number of your extended health insurance policy by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- HAP ID number to give access to the Government to see your medical details and information
- Proof of financial capacity to show if the candidate can bear its expenses
- Approval by Parents if the applicant is under 18 years of age
- Personal statement to explain the reasons for extending the Student Visa and satisfy Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirements
Submit the Application for Student Visa Extension
Log in to your ImmiAccount on the Department of Home Affairs and submit your visa extension application along with complete documents. However, you’ll have to submit AU$ 620 to process your application.
You’ll get a confirmation letter from the Home Office department that your application has been received. The Home Affairs department will send you queries to your mail if they need any other details.
You need to provide your biometrics right after submitting your visa extension application. You may receive an official mail or letter on your ImmiAccount to provide your biometrics within 14 days.
Hold Valid Visa
You must hold a valid visa such as a Bridging Visa A (BVA) before you apply for the visa extension while staying in Australia. Bridging Visa A (BVA) allows applicants to live in Australia while their application is in process. Further, you can’t travel on the Bridging Visa A (BVA) as it’ll be canceled on your departure and you’ll not be able to get back to Australia. BVA only allows you to live in Australia for as long as you get your Student Visa Extension.
Apply before Traveling
Make sure your current visa is valid and allows you to travel outside Australia. Though, the Bridging Visa A (BVA) doesn’t allow traveling and will be canceled on the spot. However, if there’s an emergency to travel with BVA while your visa application is in the process so you can use Bridging Visa B (BVB) to fly back to Australia. You need to provide valid reasons and proof before traveling.
After completing all steps, an officer will be appointed to further process your visa extension application. He might contact you to complete the process if required. Once you get your Student visa extension so you have to inform the institute in Australia where you will study further.
Student Visa is very beneficial for international students in Australia. Students who want to build their careers and live in Australia permanently can have this opportunity. However, Student Visa gets expired after 5 years so you have to renew your visa or apply for a visa extension. There’re a few policies and requirements under which the extension application can be approved.
We’ve elaborated main steps to process the student visa extension application. You can take guidance and complete information from here
- IELTS Test Australia | Australian Student Visa
- Student Visa Australia Changes during COVID-19
- Student Visa FEE WAIVER | Details about the new application | COVID 19 updates