Australia is one the best and good places for study for international students. There are many best universities in the world in Australia. Australian Govt always opens the doors for international students to pursue an excellent future after studying there. The Government has changed the few policies regarding student visa Australia to deal with the corona pandemic in a better way. Few visa measures are announced to support the students. But keep in mind; these measures are temporary due to coronavirus.
- Minister’s Media Press Release Details
- Student visa Fee
- The Application Process
- Temporary Graduate Visa Eligibility
- Offshore Student Visa Grants
- Flexibilities for Additional information
- Working hours relaxation for Student Visa Holders
- Current Student visa conditions
- Notify Us
- Students Financial Difficulties
- Move back of International Students to Australia.
Minister’s Media Press Release Details
According to the release, Australia has made few changes in the student’s visa and traveling to deal with the corona crisis. Australia has closed the borders for international movements to slow down the corona spread all over the country. This step is appreciating, but due to the border closing, many students are facing difficulties according to the study point of view. These students are essential for Australia, and its economy. International students are economic asset because they are contributing $40 billion annually and supporting 250,000 jobs. Many of them get citizenship of Australia.
These following visa changes will ensure international students are not worse off due to the coronavirus pandemic and Australia remains competitive with other countries.
These changes include:
- The Australian Government will recommence granting student visas in all locations lodged outside Australia. In other word; when borders will open, students will already have visas and be able to travel
- Foreign students will be able to lodge a student visa application free of charge, if they are unable to complete their studies within their original visa validity due to COVID-19.
- Subclass 485 visa holders studying online outside Australia due to pandemic will be able to use that study to count towards the Australian study requirement for a post study work visa.
- Graduated students will be eligible to apply for a post study work visa outside Australia if they are unable to return due to COVID-19.
- Extra time period will give to provide English language results where COVID-19 has disrupted access to these services.
Student visa Fee
Waive the visa application fee to allow lodging a further student visa Australia application to complete study. This will be available to students who held a student via on or after 1st February 2020 and unable to complete their study course within original visa validity due to the covid pandemic.
This includes students who were
- Unable to arrive Australia due to corona traveling restrictions
- Forced to reduce part time study load
- Not able to complete work based training or placements
These are measures are not applicable for students who are applying for new student visa due to ordinary reasons like if they have failed the courses or deferred for personal reasons and voluntarily reduced your study load
You should apply for a student visa and attach a completed Form 1545 COVID-19 Impacted Student from your education provider with a valid Student visa application to have your application for a fee waiver considered.
The application Process
- You can be on or out of Australia when you apply
- Apply for student visa online
If you are applying for a fee waiver in Australia then a Bridging visa will not be issued automatically as the fee exemption must be checked first. The waiver only applies to the visa application fee. Refunds will not be available for those students who have already applied for a Student visa. Only new applications will be considered eligible to have the application fee waived.
Educational institutes should clear those students who held the student visa on or after 1st February could not complete their course within original visa validity due to COVID 19 crisis. Question numbers 6 and 7 on the form 1545 COVID 19 only need to be complete for students who have deferred their studies. Students can provide additional evidence of their covid-19 related impact with the completed form.
Temporary Graduate Visa Eligibility
A subclass 485 visa is relative to a graduate student visa. Few requirements have changed for a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa for those students whom COVID-19 has impacted.
Online study outside Australia due to the coronavirus traveling restriction will consider the Australia study requirement for existing and new student visa holders. The graduated students affected by the corona crisis will apply for a temporary graduate subclass 485 visa outside Australia, where they have met all the requirements. If you are out of Australia during applying, you must hold or have held a Student visa in the past 12 months to apply.
Offshore Student Visa Grants
As the application is proceeding, then the visa is granted to the student who lodges a student visa application outside Australia by meeting all requirements. But travel restriction remains same, and you cannot travel to Australia.
Flexibilities for Additional information
Due to the corona crisis, everything is poorly disturbed. It disturbs not only daily life but also affects other activities. Students are facing difficulties, specially those who want to get foreign education. Every university has its own criteria of student selection for a specific field of study. Many additional documents are required for visa processing like English tests, biometrics verification, and health insurance form etc.
For English tests, the result sheet of the English Ielts test or English proficiency certificate is required. Due to the corona foreign embassies closed their door for English test. Not only embassies but all universities stopped its activities. Similarly, to go for biometric verification and medical health care certificate is tough during COVID-19.
Now timeframe for these documents has been extended. Additional time will be given to these students who belong to the countries where corona pandemic affects them badly. These students can submit the form of biometric collection and health later. You can manage an appointment for one or more of these services, which is more than 28 days into the future; you may attach your booking confirmation in Immi-Account.
Working hours relaxation for Student Visa Holders
Due to the covid 19 pandemic circumstances, the working hours for students are updated to ensure the supply of critical services, the Department of Home Affairs and Australian Border Force will take a flexible approach to student visa holders working beyond their usual work limitations in specified industries.
Current Student visa conditions
Flexibilities are giving where COVID‑19 restrictions have prevented Student visa conditions being met. You will not be in breach of your Student visa conditions if you have an approved course deferral and studying online.
Students are also allowed to work more than 20 hours per week if they are:
- Worked in the health care sector, enrolled in a health related courses and are directed by a health official to assist in the effort against COVID‑19
- Worked in aged care by an Approved Provider or Commonwealth-funded aged care service provider before 8th September 2020
- Enrolled by a registered National Disability Insurance Scheme provider before 23rd April 2020
- Worked in the agriculture sector
If you return home or change the study station, then you don’t need to notify us. Your visa will remain valid until your visa expires or you lodge the other visa application. Your visa status will remain the same in the case if you come back home or defer your studies.
Educational institutes can issue a new Confirmation of Enrolment and enroll students to study online. In case, if you hold a valid student visa, your education provider will provide us with your new CoE (Confirmation of Enrolment). You can attach your new CoE to your application through Immi Account if you have an open student visa application.
Students Financial Difficulties
Holder of student visa should stay in touch with their educational institutes about the range of support available to them. Many universities and education institutes offer support to students such as:
- Deferral fees, studies payments
- Accommodation support
- Food facilities
- Physical health and other medical support
For more information, you can see the detail on the Australia website relative to visas.
Move back of International Students to Australia.
The Government of Australia has closed the country’s borders for two years to control the corona pandemic. Due to the travel restriction, the international students are facing difficulties to move back Australia. Arrangements for the return of international students will be made once it is safe to do so. It will be possible only when coronavirus will be control properly.
The Australian Government has changed student visa requirements to deal with the corona pandemic. Details about the visa process are sharing with the students from time to time. If you are an international student and want to study in Australia, you should know the latest visa requirements. Due to the corona, the crisis to fulfill the required documents is tough.
So Government is managing this by providing the new frametimes. Most students are getting online educations, and many changes are also done for these students. We did our best to provide accurate detail. For the latest detail, visit the Australia migration website usually.
- A Complete Guide to Student Visa Application Process
- Student Visa Australia News 2021. Temporary relaxation for student
- Student Visa FEE WAIVER | Details about the new application | COVID 19 updates