Points to Consider If Your Australian Student Visa Is Expiring this March

Points to Consider If Your Australian Student Visa Is Expiring

Australia offers a diverse range of learning and study opportunities to international students. This ranges from vocational and training education to higher sector education. Every year, a large number of international students come to Australia to study their respective enrolled courses. Certainly, Australia has the third largest number of International students in the world.


Are you an international student and currently studying in Australia? Is your Australian student visa expiring this march? Do you want to extend your stay in Australia? If yes, you need to timely prepare yourself to avoid any problem on the expiration of your visa. Therefore, here are the most important points for you to consider that might help you out!


Have all Required Documents

expire Have all Required Documents

If you are currently studying in Australia, you might be eligible for the various permanent residency options. But do you have all the required documents to apply for the permanent residency or other visa options?

It is the right time to collect all the required documents that you must have while applying for the permanent residency or any other Australian visa.


So, the following are a few of the most important documents that you must have:

  1. Proof of English language proficiency
  2. Academic qualification records
  3. Proof of meeting health and character requirements
  4. Proof of work experience (if any)
  5. The positive skill assessment document (if required)


Calculate Your Points!

expire Calculate Your Points

Have you calculated your points if you are planning to apply for other Australian Visas or permanent residency? Calculate your points on skillselect points table. For example, minimum point score for Accountants and Auditors is “85” in February 2019 round. You need to score points higher than “65” as per criteria.


Calculate your points on the basis of your:

  • Occupation
  • Academic qualifications
  • English Language proficiency
  • Work experience if any


Your score and occupation will decide whether you can apply to get other Australian visas or not.


Apply for Subclass – 485 Temporary Graduate Visa

expire 485 Temporary Graduate Visa

A temporary graduate visa allows overseas students to live, study and work in Australia temporarily after the completion of their recent educational degrees from Australia.


This visa has two streams:

  • Graduate-work stream
  • Post-study work stream


Graduate work stream of subclass 485 gives full working rights to the graduates who have completed 92 CRICOS weeks of vocational education. Therefore, you can live and work in Australia for up to 18 months on this visa stream. Post-study work stream of Subclass 485 is for graduates of higher education degree who have completed 92 CRICOS weeks. And this visa stream allows you to live and work in Australia for up to 4 years depending upon your skills and qualification.


Is your occupation listed on Skilled Occupation List?

If you have got the required skills and your occupation is listed on Skilled Occupation List (SOL) Australia, a Temporary Graduate visa is a good option for you.


Get Relevant work experience

Gain professional work experience and equip yourself with the required skills to gain more points for permanent residency in Australia. For instance, the work experience of 1 year will grant you 5 points. Similarly, relevant work experience will and required skills will grant you more points.


You can get a subclass 485 visa for once only. Once you have granted this visa, you will not be able to apply for TR again. 


Complete Further Studies in Australia

expire Further Studies in Australia

Do you want to get more education or any other educational degree from Australia? Many overseas students opt for the option of staying in Australia to get a higher educational degree. Getting higher education will enable you to get an advanced degree and skills that might help you in getting an Australian permanent residency. It is your choice to study in the same institution or to get admission to a different institution.


If you are currently in Australia and your visa is expiring this march, you need to apply for the new Australian student visa. Apply at least one month before the expiry date of your current student visa.


Apply for the extension of your:

  1. Student visa to the Department of Home Affairs and Border Protection
  2. Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
  3. New confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) – if you are applying to the same educational institution
  4. New Confirmation of Enrollment if you want to apply to the different educational institution


When you apply for the new student visa, you will get the “Bridging Visa” from the Department of Home Affairs. You bridging visa will be active from when your current visa expires and your student visa has not been processed yet.


Apply for Professional Year Program

expire Professional Year Program

A Professional Year Program (PYP) is a combination of formal learning and workplace experience. This program is for the international students who are graduated in the fields of accounting, computer science, and engineering from an Australian university. You can develop industry-specific skills and can gain work experience through this program.


These skills and experience will help you to get employment, additional points and permanent residency in Australia. You will be awarded 5 points after the completion of this 12-months professional year program.


Apply for Job Ready Program

Occupations like Accountants, Auditors, Doctors, and engineers etc requires you to get very high points for permanent residency visas. For Example, minimum point score for Accountants and Auditors is “85” in February 2019 round. If you want to get permanent residency in Australia, the Job Ready Program might help you!


Trade Recognition Australia (TRA) runs a Job ready program that allows overseas people to get the Australian trade qualification and practical work experience in the relevant field. Trade skills are very high in demand in Australia. A large number of visas area announced every year to fill the trade skill shortage. Job Ready program provides you with the opportunity to get permanent residency in Australia.


You can read more about a job ready program from this article: https://themigration.com.au/job-ready-program-a-key-to-australian-permanent-residency-at-lowest-points/ 


Apply for Skilled Visa or Employer Sponsored Visa

expire Apply for Skilled Visa

If you want to live and work in Australia, you can apply for the General Skilled Migration visa. You need to check whether you meet the eligibility requirements of the Australian visa you want to apply for. If you can meet the shortage of skills in Australia, and your occupation is listed on the Skilled Occupation List, you can apply for the skilled visa.


If you have worked for an employer who is now willing to nominate you for your skills and competency, you can also apply for an Employer sponsored visa. Your employer needs to be an eligible Australian employer to sponsor you for the work visa.


Get Professional Assistance

expire professional assistance

It is very important to have the right information and guidance about every step you are going to take after your visa student visa expiry. To sum up, if your Australian student visa is expiring this march and you are worried about it, we are here to help you out!


So, if you are confused or do not know the way to extend your stay in Australia, you can take the professional guidance from us. Our team of Registered Migration consultants will guide you about every program or visa that can lead to a visa extension or permanent residency in Australia.


Further, you can take professional guidance and assistance from the team of our qualified and Registered migration consultants at https://themigration.com.au/.


Our Most Visited Pages: